Warrant No. 290 pre 1900

Warrant No. 290 originally issued to the 39th Regiment of Foot on 5 January 1758. Warrant No. 290 became settled in Castletown, Isle of Man, in or about 1785 and was cancelled on 7 October 1813.

Warrant No. 290 was reissued to brethren in Kells, Ballymena, County Antrim on 24 June 1821 and was cancelled on 7 September 1843.

Warrant No. 290 was reissued to St Leonard’s Lodge, Sydney, NSW, Australia on 18 July 1867 and was removed from the printed report in 1886.

The above represents the barest of facts relating to the Warrant before it was reissued to Deramore Masonic Lodge No. 290. The Irish Masonic Records cd-rom gives much more details for the years above.

The House of Deramore

The Batesons or Deramores, as they become known after taking the title in 1885, lived at Belvoir until the latter years of the 19th century, they came to Ulster from Yorkshire. One branch of the family established itself at Orangefield in the early 18th Century. Thomas Bateson, father of Robert who became the owner of the Belvoir Estates, died at Orangefield in 1811. Robert Bateson, founder of the house of Deramore, was born in 1782 and died in 1863. He was created a Baronet in 1818. His eldest son Robert, was an MP for County Londonderry and died in Jerusalem, aged 27. On 24 December 1847. His second son Thomas, was born on 4 June 1819, he was raised to the peerage as Baron Deramore in 1885 and after 34 years of service in Parliament died on 1 December 1890.
There is a plaque in Moira Parish Church to Sir Robert Bateson and also a family vault is under the obelisk in the Churchyard. Incidentally there is also a plaque to the first Lady Deramore in Moira Parish Church, and an identical plaque is also found in Knockbreda Parish Church in Belfast with which the family were also connected.
The Bateson family name changed though marriage to de Yarburgh-Bateson. The Barony of Deramore is now extinct following the death of Richard Arthur de Yarburgh-Bateson, 6th Baron Deramore (1911-2006).


Bateson Crest


Quarterly, 1st and 4th, per pale Argent [silver] and Azure [blue], a chevron between three chaplet counterchanged and for distinction, a cross crosslet in the centre chief point counterchanged. For Yarburgh: 2nd and 3rd, Argent [silver], three bats wings erect Sable [black], on a chief Gules [red], a lion passant Or [Gold], for Bateson.


de Yarburgh Crest


A falcon close Or [gold], belled gold, preying upon a duck proper [natural colour] and for distinction, the falcon charged on the breast with a cross crosslet Azure [blue].

A bat’s wing erect Sable [black].

The Yarburgh motto is Nocte Volamus, which means ‘We fly by night’.

The Bat’s wing of the Bateson and the Falcon of de Yarburgh come together in the Crest of Deramore Masonic Lodge No. 290.

The Bat’s wing of the Bateson and the Falcon of de Yarburgh come together in the Crest of Deramore Masonic Lodge No. 290.


Deramore Masonic Lodge No. 290’s crest is an amalgam of the two crests above as de Yarburgh-Bateson was the name of Lord Deramore.

If we dissect the Lodge Crest it is easy to see the make-up of it:

The Bateson Bat’s wing, and the de Yarburgh Falcon.


Mount Masonic Centre,
45 Park Avenue,
Northern Ireland.


Email: secretary@deramore290.org
Phone: 02890448080

Masonic Links
  • Irish Masonic History & Jewels

  • Mount Masonic Centre, Belfast This is where Deramore 290 meets.

  • Provincial Grand Lodge of Down

  • St Mark's Lodge Glasgow No. 102 (Scottish Constitution)

  • Ulster Lodge No. 2972 (English Constitution)